Scania

Scania (About this sound Skåne (help·info) in Swedish) is the southernmost province (landskap) of Sweden, constituting a peninsula on the southern tip of the Scandinavian peninsula, and some adjacent islands. The modern administrative subdivision (län) Skåne County is almost coextensive with the province. The largest city is Malmö, which is also the third largest city in Sweden and the administrative centre of Skåne County.

To the north, Scania borders the provinces of Halland and Småland, to the northeast Blekinge, to the east and south the Baltic Sea and the Island of Bornholm, and to the west the Øresund. Since 2000 a road and railway bridge, the Øresund Bridge[5] constitutes a fixed link to the Danish island of Zealand. Also the HH Ferry route across the northern part of Øresund remains as an importaint link between the Scandinavian peninsula and Zealand. Scania is part of the transnational Øresund Region.

The province formed part of the kingdom of Denmark up until the Treaty of Roskilde in 1658. The transition to Sweden was later confirmed by the Treaty of Copenhagen 1660, the Peace of Lund 1679, the Peace of Travendal 1700. The last serious Danish attempt to invade the province failed in 1710, after the Battle of Helsingborg. The period 1658–1720 saw widespread violence by the Danish and Swedish militaries against the local population. The region did not form part of Sweden proper until 1719, but had the status of conquered "foreign land" until that year. It was then divided in two counties and has since then been regarded as fully integrated in Sweden. Until the early 19th century, a policy of forced assimilation was employed by the Swedish government in what until then had been a linguistically Danish region. Controversy relating to whether the Scanian dialects should be classified as a regional language or as Danish or Swedish dialects remains to this day.

Around 130 kilometres (81 miles) long from north to south, Scania covers less than 3% of Sweden's total area, but the population of approximately 1,260,000 represents 13% of Sweden's total population. About 16% of the total population of the province are foreign-born. With 111 inh/km² Scania is the second most densely populated province of Sweden, next only to Södermanland. The western part, along the coast of the Øresund, is by far the most populated part of the province.

Details
Formation Date 1000
Territory 10939.00 (Sq. Km)
Population 1274069
Conflict Name Initiation Year Termination Year Total Killed Total Casuality
Count's Feud 1534-1536 1534 1536 unknown unknown
«1»
Establishment Date Territory Area
10939.00
    «1»
Date Military Personnel
    «»
Date Expenditure Exchange Rate Us Doller Equivalence
    «»
Date Population
2013 1274069
    «1»