AEC Armoured Command Vehicle

AEC Armoured Command Vehicle was a series of command vehicles built by the British Associated Equipment Company during the Second World War.

AEC Armoured Command Vehicle
Class Vehicle
Type Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Manufacturer Associated Equipment Company
Origin United Kingdom - UK (Great Britain)
Country Name Origin Year
United Kingdom - UK (Great Britain) 1941
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
United Kingdom - UK (Great Britain) View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Associated Equipment Company 1941 415 View

During World War II the United Kingdom was the only country to develop and widely employ purpose-built armoured command vehicles. Those were essentially armoured buses based on truck chassis.

The most common ACV of the British Army was the AEC 4x4 ACV. The vehicle, based on AEC Matador chassis, entered production in 1941. A total of about 415 units were built. The vehicle was used for the first time in the North African Campaign and remained in service until the end of the war. Big and comfortable, it was nicknamed Dorchester by the troops, after the luxury hotel in London. Three ACVs of this type were captured by the German Afrika Korps. Two of them, named "Max" and "Moritz", were employed by Rommel and his staff throughout the campaign.

In 1944 a larger AEC 6x6 ACV was developed. The vehicle was based on AEC 0857 lorry chassis and was powered by the AEC 198 150 hp engine. The hull was welded from 9 mm thick rolled steel. The weight of the vehicle reached 17 tons. One hundred and fifty one units were built.

Both vehicles were built in two configurations, called LP (Low Power) and HP (High Power), with different radio equipment.

Type Armoured command vehicle
Place of origin United Kingdom
Service history
Used by British Army
Wars Second world War
Production history
Produced 1941 - ?
Number built 415
Variants Low Power, High Power, AEC 6x6 ACV
Specifications
Weight 12.2 t
Length 6.10 m
Width 2.36 m
Height 2.90 m
Crew 7-8
Armour 10-12 mm
Main
armament
1 x .303 inch Bren light machine gun, carried inside
Engine AEC 187 6-cylinder diesel engine
95 hp (71 kW)
Power/weight 7.8 hp/tonne
Suspension wheeled 4x4
Operational
range
450 km
Speed 60 km/h

End notes