Cannone da 381/50 Ansaldo M1934

The Cannone da 381/50 Ansaldo M1934 was a 381-millimeter (15.0 in), 50-caliber naval gun designed and built for the Royal Italian Navy (Regia Marina) by Gio. Ansaldo & C. in the 1930s. The gun served as the main armament of Italy's last battleships, the Littorio class. These built-up guns consisted of a liner, a cylinder over the chamber and part of the rifle bore, a full-length cylinder, and a 3/4 length jacket with a hydro-pneumatically operated side-swinging Welin breech block. Each battleship carried nine guns mounted in three triple turrets with maximum elevation of 35°. Time between salvos was approximately 45 seconds.

Cannone da 381/50 Ansaldo M1934
Class Vehicle
Type Towed Artillery
Manufacturer Gio. Ansaldo & C.
Production Period 1940 - 1948
Origin Italy
Country Name Origin Year
Italy 1940
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
Italy 1940 1948 View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Gio. Ansaldo & C. 1940 1948 View

Type Naval gun
Place of origin Italy
Service history
In service 1940–1948
Used by  Regia Marina
Wars Second World War
Production history
Manufacturer Gio. Ansaldo & C., OTO
Specifications
Weight 102.4 metric tons (101 long tons)
Barrel length 19.05 meters (62 ft 6 in)
Shell AP: 885 kilograms (1,950 lb)
HE: 774 kilograms (1,710 lb)
Caliber 381 millimeters (15.0 in)
Breech Welin breech block
Muzzle velocity 850–870 meters per second (2,800–2,900 ft/s)
Maximum firing range 42,260 meters (46,220 yd)

End notes