Leyland Armoured Car

Leyland Armoured Car refers to four armoured cars, built between 1934 1940, which were used by the Irish Army. The first Leyland Armoured Car was built in 1934, and three more were built by 1940. The Leylands served with the Irish Army until 1972 and with the reserve An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil (FCA) until the early 1980s.


Leyland Armoured Car
Class Vehicle
Type Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Manufacturer Leyland Motors Limited
Production Period 1934 - 1940
Origin Ireland
Country Name Origin Year
Ireland 1935
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
Ireland 1935 View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Leyland Motors Limited 1934 1940 4 View

The Leyland Armoured Car was based on a 6×4 Leyland Terrier lorry chassis. The first chassis was purchased from Ashenhurst of Dublin in 1934 and an armoured hull built used armour and turrets from an obsolete Peerless Armoured Car was fitted. The new vehicle was tested and it was recommended that the twin Peerless turrets be replaced with a single turret. In 1935 three more Leyland Terrier chassis were bought and the Swedish Landsverk L60 tank turret was selected in 1936 to replace the twin Peerless turrets, however it was not until 1939 that all four Leyland Armoured Cars were finished. The armament of the Leylands was a Madsen 20mm cannon and a .303 Madsen machine gun.

The Leylands entered service with the 1st Armoured Squadron alongside the Landsverk L180 and Irish built Dodge armoured cars. They were then set up as A Troop of the 2nd Motor Squadron until recombined with the L180s in 1942

In 1958, the Leyland's front hull was modified and the engine replaced with Ford V-8s. .30 Browning machine guns replaced the Madsen machine guns and another Browning was fitted in the hull next to the driver.

One Leyland was scrapped in the 1960s. In 1972, the 1st Armoured Squadron was re-equipped with Panhard AML armoured cars and the three surviving Leylands joined the reserve Forsea Cosanta Aituil 5th Motor Squadron until they were also equipped with Panhard AMLs in the early 1980s. One of these was also owned by the 4th Cavalry squadron in Longford in the years 1979 to some time in the early eighties, although it did not see service and was more a museum piece

The Bovington Tank Museum gained their example through an exchange for a Ferret Armoured Car.

Type Armored car
Place of origin  Ireland
Service history
In service 1935–1980s
Production history
Designed 1934
Produced 1934–1940
Number built 4
Specifications
Weight 8 tons 15 cwt laden
Length 20 ft 11 inches (6.13 m)
Width 7 ft 3 inches (2.26 m)
Height 8 ft
Crew 4
Armour 13 mm maximum
Main
armament
Madsen 20 mm
Secondary
armament
0.303 in Madsen machine gun, from 1958 two .30 in Browning machine guns
Engine 6-cylinder Leyland Terrier petrol
from 1958 5,195 cc Ford V8 type 317 petrol
33 hp 62–80 bhp
from 1958 155 hp at 3,200 rpm
Transmission 4 speeds plus reverse × 2 speed auxiliary driving rear wheels
Suspension 6 × 4 wheeled
Operational
range
150 miles
Speed 45 mph (72 km/h) with Ford V8

End notes