Dornier Do 22

The Dornier Do 22 was a German seaplane developed in the 1930s. Despite good performance, it was built only in small numbers and entirely for the export market. The type was operated in the Second World War by Greece, Yugoslavia and Finland.


Dornier Do 22
Class Aircraft
Type Bomber
Manufacturer Dornier Flugzeugwerke
Production Period 1938 - 1939
Origin Germany
Country Name Origin Year
Germany 1938
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
Finland View
Germany 1935 1945 View
Greece View
Latvia View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Dornier Flugzeugwerke 1938 1939 30 View

In 1934, Dornier's Swiss subsidiary, based at its at factory at Altenrhein designed a three-seat, single-engined military floatplane, the Do C3; two prototypes were built, with the first flown in 1935.

It was a parasol wing monoplane of fabric covered all-metal construction. Its slightly swept-back wing was attached to the fuselage by bracing struts, its two floats were braced to both the wing and fuselage. It was powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs engine driving a three-bladed propeller, and could carry a single torpedo or bombs under the fuselage, defensive armament was one fixed forward firing machine gun, two in the rear cockpit and one in a ventral tunnel.

The first production model, known as the Do 22/See when fitted with floats, did not fly until 15 July 1938 from Dornier's factory at Friedrichshafen, Germany, although it did incorporate parts made in Switzerland. While the Luftwaffe was not interested in the aircraft, examples were sold to Yugoslavia, Greece and Latvia. In March 1939, a prototype with conventional landing gear (the Do 22L), was completed and test flown, but it did not enter production.

The Greek Do 22s were destroyed during the German invasion of the Balkans in 1941,[4] but the crews of eight of the Yugoslav machines successfully evaded capture or destruction by fleeing to Egypt. There they flew under the control of the British Royal Air Force until the lack of spare parts made the aircraft unusable.

The four Latvian aircraft had not been delivered when the Soviet Union occupied Latvia in 1940 and were retained by Germany. In 1942 they were transferred to Finland, being used on floats or skis until the end of the war.

Role Torpedo bomber and reconnaissanceseaplane
Manufacturer Dornier Flugzeugwerke
First flight 15 July 1938
Produced 1938-1939
Number built ~30


General characteristics

  • Crew: 3, pilot, gunner and radio operator
  • Length: 13.12 m (43 ft 0½ in)
  • Wingspan: 16.20 m (53 ft 1¾ in)
  • Height: 4.85 m[9] (15 ft 11 in)
  • Wing area: 45.0 m² (482.2 ft²)
  • Empty weight: 2,600 kg (5,733 lb)
  • Loaded weight: 4,000 kg (8,820 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Hispano-Suiza 12Ybrs V-12 liquid cooled inline piston engine, 641 kW (860 hp)

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 350 km/h (189 knots, 217 mph) at 3,000 m (9,840 ft)
  • Cruise speed: 310 km/h (168 knots, 193 mph)
  • Range: 2,300 km (1,428 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 9,000 m (29,500 ft)
  • Climb to 5,000 m (16,400 ft): 13 min

Armament

  • Guns: 4 × 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 15 machine guns in nose, ventral and rear cockpit positions
  • Bombs: 1 × 800 kg (1,764 lb) torpedo or 4 × 50 kg (110 lb) bombs

End notes