The Fokker C.X was a biplane scout and light bomber designed in 1933. It had a crew of two (a pilot and an observer). Like all Fokker aircraft in that period, it was of mixed construction, with wooden wings and a welded frame covered with aluminium plates at the front of the aircraft and with linen at the back. The prototype was built in 1934 with a Rolls-Royce Kestrel V engine.
It was originally designed for the Royal Dutch East Indies Army, in order to replace the Fokker C.V. The East Indies Army ordered 13 C.Xs, but they were soon replaced in the scout/light bomber role by the American Martin B-10s. Until the Japanese attack on the Dutch East Indies in 1941, the C.X remained in use as a trainer and target tug. The Royal Netherlands Air Force ordered 16 C.Xs, and four more C.Xs with Kestrel IIS engines; these four were later re-equipped with Kestrel V engines.
Two C.Xs were delivered to the Spanish Republic, and four more to Finland. The Finnish also license-produced 35 C.Xs until 1942. These C.Xs were equipped with Bristol Pegasus XII engines.
During the German attack on the Netherlands in May 1940, the C.Xs served in their intended role as scouts and light bombers. They were far too slow to compete with German aircraft such as the Messerschmitt Bf 109. The Finnish C.Xs served in the Winter War, the Continuation War and the Lapland War. The last of the 7 Finnish C.Xs that survived the World War II era crashed in 1958.