The Gotha G.III was a heavy bomber used by the Luftstreitkraefte (Imperial German Air Service) during the First World War. It succeeded the Gotha G.II in production and differed primarily in the choice of powerplant. The eight-cylinder Mercedes D.IV was replaced by the new six-cylinder 260 hp Mercedes D.IVa engine.
Combat service of the G.III was limited but effective. Its most notable accomplishment came in September 1916, when a formation of G.III aircraft destroyed the railway bridge over the Danube River at Chernavoda, Romania on the Eastern Front. The Gotha G.III bomber was also deployed successfully on the Western Front, operating from Freiburg. In September 1917, all surviving aircraft were withdrawn from combat and relegated to training units.