PWS-10

The PWS-10 was a Polish fighter aircraft, constructed in the PWS (Podlaska Wytwórnia Samolotów - Podlasie Aircraft Factory). It was the first Polish-designed fighter to enter serial production.


PWS-10
Class Aircraft
Type Fighter
Manufacturer Podlaska Wytwornia Samolotow
Production Period 1931 - 1932
Origin Poland
Country Name Origin Year
Poland 1930
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
Poland 1932 1939 View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Podlaska Wytwornia Samolotow 1931 1932 80 View

First work on a domestic fighter to replace ill-fated French SPAD 61s in the Polish Air Force was initiated by PWS in 1927. Main designers were Aleksander Grzedzielski and Augustyn Zdaniewski. In 1929 the first prototype was built and it first flew in March 1930. At the same time, the more modern fighter PZL P.1 was developed by the PZL. Despite the P.1 being a more capable fighter, the War Ministry decided that it needed further work, and a series of 80 PWS-10 was ordered as a temporary measure. In comparison with the advanced P.1, the PWS-10 was a more classic design, a high-wing parasol monoplane of mixed construction.

The series was built from 1931 to 1932, numbered from 5-1 to 5-80.

A variant of PWS-10 was a biplane PWS-15, being basically PWS-10 with another pair of wings. A single prototype was made in order to compare with a monoplane, on factory's own initiative. It first flew in spring of 1931. It offered better manoeuvrability and climb ratio with slightly lower maximum speed. PWS-15 was not produced and was soon broken up.

PWS-10 entered service in the Polish Air Force starting from 1932. It was used in escadres nos. 122, 131, 132, 141. Their flight characteristics and performance were mediocre. As soon, as in 1933 they were replaced in combat units by PZL P.7 and moved to aviation school in Deblin. Some were used there by the outbreak of World War II and in summer 1939 all remaining airworthy aircraft were gathered in Ulez.

In late 1936, during the Spanish Civil War, 20 PWS-10 were sold in secret to Spanish nationalist forces, via Portugal, by the SEPEWE syndicate. Aircraft were transported in crates and were assembled by PZL workers. First aircraft was flown in December 1936 in Leon. Being obsolete by then, they were not used as fighters, only fighter pilot training (for 4. Fighter Group) in El Copero near Seville. Later PWS-10s were transferred to Jerez de la Frontera where were operated between April 1937 and end of 1938. Spanish aircraft received name Chiquita, or unofficial Pavipollo and they had numbers from 4-1 to 4-20. Some were lost in crashes or scrapped, the remaining 11 were operated till the end of the 1938 and were retired in 1939.

During the German invasion of Poland in September 1939 they were too obsolete to be used in combat, but some were used for reconnaissance flights in an improvised Deblin Group during first days of war.

Role Fighter aircraft
Manufacturer PWS
First flight March 1930
Introduction 1932
Retired 1939
Primary users Polish Air Force
Spanish Air Force
Produced 1931-1932
Number built 80


General characteristics

  • Crew: 1
  • Length: 7.7 m (25 ft)
  • Wingspan: 10.5 m (33 ft)
  • Height: 2.9 m (10 ft)
  • Wing area: 18.25 m² (ft²)
  • Empty weight: 1113 kg (2448.6 lb)
  • Loaded weight: 1500 kg (3300 lb)
  • Useful load: 387 kg (851.4 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 1550 kg (3410 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lorraine-Dietrich 12Eb water-cooled 12-cylinder inline, 478 hp ()

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 240 km/h (148.8 mph)
  • Cruise speed: 215 km/h (133.3 mph)
  • Range: 520 km (322 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 5,900 m (19357 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 5.8 m/s (19 ft/s)
  • Wing loading: 82.3 kg/m² ()

Armament

  • 2 x 7.7 mm Vickers machine guns

End notes