Popularly known as the sticky bomb, the No 74 ST Grenade was an unusual British hand grenade issued in World War II. Inherently dangerous for the user, it was eventually relegated to Home Guard use. Sticky Bombs were employed in the desert from early 1942, probably as a stop-gap given the ineffectiveness of other anti-tank weapons available to British infantry. It was subsequently replaced by the Gammon bomb, which was a superior weapon in all respects.This was an early attempt at an anti-tank grenade. To get the explosive to detonate against the vehicle armour it relied upon an adhesive coating to hold the bomb in place, hence \"Sticky\".The design was a product of an experimental department, MD1, set up in 1940 by Professor Lindemann under Major-General Jefferis. Department MD1 had considerable independence allowing novel ideas to be rapidly developed.The grenade was formed of a glass sphere containing the liquid explosive and a plastic (Bakelite) handle containing the fuse. The sphere was wrapped by a knitted woollen cover that was coated with a very sticky resin based adhesive - enough to hold the grenade onto a tank hull. As supplied, a light metal protective case shrouded the adhesive.In use, pulling one pin released the protector, a second was the safety pin for the fuse. When thrown it had the same action as a Mills bomb; a handle was released, igniting the fuse. If all went well, the grenade would hit the target up to 60 feet away, stick, and then explode.