SU-100

SU-100 was an armoured vehicle (tank destroyer, AFV or armoured fighting vehicle) in combat use during the Second World War (World War II or WWII) primarily on the Eastern Front. The SU-100 was a fully tracked all-terrain vehicle designed for military operations. SU-100 was produced and deployed by the Red Army of the Soviet Union (USSR). The technical drawing (plan, layout or profile) shows the general appearance characteristics of the specified model (version) of the SU-100 tank destroyer for purposes of identification and reference. For more detailed information about this armoured fighting vehicle, refer to SU-100.


SU-100
Class Vehicle
Type Infantry Combat Vehicle
Manufacturer Factory No.9 Ural Heavy Machinery Factory (UTZM)
Production Period 1944 - 1945
Origin Russia (USSR)
Country Name Origin Year
Russia (USSR) 1944
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
Russia (USSR) View
ManufacturerName Production From Production To Quantity
Factory No.9 Ural Heavy Machinery Factory (UTZM) 1944 1945 1675 View

The SU-85 was developed from the same chassis as the T-34 tank, but replaced its turret with a casement installation allowing larger guns to be fitted. This was used with the 85 mm D-5 gun, providing dramatically upgraded firepower compared to the T-34's 76.2 mm models. Introduced to service in 1943, the SU-85 was quickly rendered obsolete when designers managed to mount the same gun on the T-34-85.

This led to efforts to up-gun the SU-85 as quickly as possible. Development was conducted under supervision of L. I. Gorlitskiy, chief designer of all medium Soviet self-propelled guns. The work started in February 1944 and first prototype of SU-100, called "Object 138", was built in March. After intensive testing with different models of 100 mm gun Soviet engineers approved the D-10S gun for mass production. This gun was developed in Constructors Bureau of Artillery Factory No. 9 under guidance of F. F. Petrov. After the Second World War this gun was installed on T-54 and T-55 tanks and its derivatives were in service forty years after initial development.

It was built at the UZTM in Yekaterinburg. The SU-100 quickly proved itself to be able to penetrate around 125 mm (4.9 in) of vertical armor from a range of 2,000 m (1.2 mi) and the sloped 80 mm (3.1 in) front armor of the German Panther from 1,500 m (0.93 mi).

The hull of SU-100 had major improvements over the SU-85; the thickness of the front armour was increased from 45 to 75 mm (1.8 to 3.0 in), and the commander's workplace was made in a small sponson on the right side of the hull; combined with the commander's cupola this improved the commander's effectiveness. For better ventilation two ventilator units were installed, instead of only one as in the SU-85. Mass production began in September 1944.

The SU-100 saw extensive service during the last year of the war. It was used en masse in Hungary in March 1945, when Soviet forces defeated the German Operation Frühlingserwachen offensive at Lake Balaton. By July 1945, 2,335 SU-100s had been built.

The vehicle remained in service with the Red Army well after the war; production continued in the Soviet Union until 1947 and into the 1950s in Czechoslovakia. It was withdrawn from Soviet service in 1957 but many vehicles were transferred to reserve stocks. Some exist to this day in the Russian Army holding facilities.

Many Warsaw Pact countries also used the SU-100, as did Soviet allies such as Egypt, Angola and Cuba. A few SU-100 were delivered to Yugoslavia after the war, under the designation M-44. The SU-100 saw service in the fighting that accompanied the 1956 Suez Crisis, in which the Egyptians used SU-100s against Israel's M4 Sherman tanks. The vehicle was also utilized in the 1967 Six-Day War and the 1973 Yom Kippur War. It was modified slightly to adapt it to the sandy conditions of the Middle East, thus creating the SU-100M variant. Exported SU-100s continued in service until the 1970s, and in some countries, even later. Yugoslavs used them during the civil war however due to lack of spare parts they were quickly retired, but performed satisfactorily. The SU-100 remains in use by the Vietnam People's Army and the Korean People's Army Ground Force despite the age of the design.

SU-100s entered service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China after 1 December 1950 when Soviet forces left Dalian. The armaments in Dalian were sold to China, including 99 SU-100s, 18 IS-2 heavy tanks, and 224 T-34s, with which PLA formed its 1st Mechanised Division.

In April 2015, a SU-100 self-propelled gun was photographed being used in Yemen as part of the ongoing conflict.

GENERAL DATA
Formal DesignationSU-100
Manufacturer(s)Factory No.9 Ural Heavy Machinery Factory (UTZM or Uralmash)
Production Quantity16751Production PeriodNov. 1944 - Jun.1945
TypeTank DestroyerCrew4
Length overall9.45 m (31' 0")Barrel Overhang3.35 m (11' 0")
Width3.00 m (9' 10")Height2.25 m (7' 5")
Combat Weight31600 kg (70000 lbs)Radio Equipment10-RF-26
FIREPOWER
Primary Armament100mm Gun D-10SAmmunition Carried34
Traverse (degrees)Manual (10°L - 10°R)Elevation (degrees)-3° to +20°
Traverse speed (360°)-SightTSh-19, n.a.
Secondary Armament-Ammunition Carried-


MOBILITY CHARACTERISTICS
Engine Make & ModelV-2-34MTrack Links72/track
Type & DisplacementV12, 38.9 litersTrack Width55.0 cm (22")
Horsepower (max.)520hp@2000rpmTrack Ground Contact372 cm (146")
Power/Weight Ratio16.5 hp/tGround Pressure0.77 kg/cm2 (11.0 psi)
Gearbox5 forward, 1 reverseGround Clearance0.40 m (1' 4")
FuelDieselTurning Radius7.6 m (24' 11")
Range on/off road280+/170+ kmGradient35°
Mileage on road180 l/100kmVertical Obstacle0.8 m (2' 7")
Fuel Capacity500 (+ 270 external)2 lFording1.3 m (4' 3")
Speed on road50 km/hTrench Crossing2.5 m (8' 2")
ARMOR PROTECTION
Armor DetailFrontSideRearTop/Bottom
Hull45mm@35°45mm@90°45mm@45°20mm@0°
Superstructure75mm@40°45mm@70°(front)345mm@42°20mm@0°
45mm@50°(rear)45mm@90°(crew)
Mantlet75mm@round--40mm@0°

NOTES
1Production may have continued after June 1945, i.e., the period consider here.
2In general, one of the four 90 liters external fuel tanks was reserved for oil.
3Commanders cupola protruded on the right side of the superstructure at 45mm@90°.

TD1, TWWII, T34IA, BP02, ST, RTAV, Russian Military Zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SU-100

End notes