The Beograd-class were destroyers built for the Royal Yugoslav Navy to an Ateliers et Chantiers de la Loire design in the late 1930s. A total of three ships were built, one in France and two in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. During the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941, one of the ships was destroyed to prevent its capture, and the other two were captured by the Italians. The Italian Navy operated the two captured ships as convoy escorts between Italy and North Africa, but one was lost in the Gulf of Tunis in April 1943. The other was captured by the Germans in September 1943 after the Italian surrender, and was subsequently operated by the German Navy. After being heavily damaged by Yugoslav Partisan artillery in April 1945, she was scuttled in Trieste the following month.