HMS Hood (51) Battlecruiser

HMS Hood (51) was a battlecruiser of the Royal Navy, and considered the pride of the Royal Navy in the interwar period and during the early period of World War II. She was one of four Admiral class battlecruisers ordered in mid-1916 under the Emergency War Programme. Although the design was drastically revised after the Battle of Jutland, it was realised that there were serious limitations even to the revised design; for this reason, and because of evidence that the German battlecruisers that they were designed to counter were unlikely to be completed, the rest of the ships in the class was suspended in 1917. HMS Hood, built by John Brown & Company, was the last battlecruiser completed in Great Britain. Hood had served in the Royal Navy for over two decades before her sinking at the hands of the German battleship Bismarck on 24 May 1941 during World War II. 

Country Name Origin Year
United Kingdom - UK (Great Britain) 1918
Country Name Operational Year Retirement Year
United Kingdom - UK (Great Britain) 1920 1941 View

Ordered: 7 April 1916

Laid down: 1 September 1916

Displacement: 1918: 45,200 long tons (45,900 t) full load; 

1940: 48,360 long tons (49,140 t) full load

Length: 860 ft 7 in (262.3 m)

Beam: 104 ft 2 in (31.8 m)

Draught: 33 ft 1 in (10.1 m)

Propulsion: 24 Yarrow small tube oil fired boilers 

4 Brown-Curtiss geared steam turbines 

4 shafts 

3-bladed propellers - 15 ft (4.6 m) diameter 

Power: Designed - 144,000 shp (107 MW); 1920 trials: 151,200 shp (113 MW)

Speed: 1920: 31 knots (57 km/h); 

1941: 29 knots (54 km/h)

Range: 1931: 5,332 nmi (10,000 km) at 20 knots (37 km/h)

Complement: 1921: 1,169; 

1941: 1,418

Armament: (1939):8 x BL 15 inch /42 naval gun (381 mm) (4x2) 

12 x 5.5 in (140 mm) (12x1) 

8 x 4 in (102 mm) dual purpose guns (4x2) 

24 x 2-pdr (40 mm) pom-pom (3x8) 

20 x 0.5 in (12.7 mm) (5x4) Vickers machine guns 

4 x 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes, above water 

(1941):8 x 15 in (381 mm) (4x2), 

14 x 4 in (102 mm) (7x2) 

24 x 2-pdr pom pom (40 mm) (3x8) 

20 x 0.5 in (12.7 mm) (5x4) guns 

5 x 20 barrel Unrotated Projectile mounts 

4 x 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes, above water

Aircraft carried: 1 fitted from 1931-1932, 1 catapult

End notes